Here’s a video from droid life that walks you through the installation of Swype – not just a new keyboard, but a new method of typing. Man, I should be in advertizing.
Swype will be in the Market before too long, but for the time being you’ll have to do this the hard way. Written instructions from Droid Life are after the break.
The directions, quoted from Droid Life:
1. download and install the astro file manager from the android marketplace
2. download this zip file.
3. unzip that file, which will give you a file called “[mfhs]Swype-SwypeReference-WVGA854-trial-release.0.35.3959.apk”
4. copy the apk file to your handset’s sd card
5. on your android handset, go to settings > applications > and check the box next to “unknown sources”
6. use astro to browse for the apk file on your sd card, install it.
7. go to settings > language and keyboard. enable the swype keyboard.
8. you should now be able to switch between the standard keyboard and the swype keyboard by tapping-and-holding on any text input field.
9. and your done.
Via Droid Life