At the Samsung Experience in NYC tonight, Samsung stated that, by the end of the week, they will be able to confirm the shipment of 2 million Galaxy S devices in the US. In order to bring a rich mobile experience to all of those gadgets, Samsung also launched their hotly anticipated Media Hub, which delivers television, movies, and ebooks to Media Hub devices, optimized for mobile delivery and consumption. See our dedicated post on Media Hub.
As expected, Samsung officially announced the release of the Galaxy Tab in the States tonight. The surprize is that the Galaxy S tablet will be launching on all four major US carriers-AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon in the next few weeks. The 3G and Wifi version will come first, with a WiFi-only version to follow shortly thereafter. Get your holiday wish lists updated.
Samsung says the Tab will redefine the tablet market, and with a 7″ enhanced TFT display, Android 2.2, Flash 10.1 support, and perhaps somewhat awkward pocketability, they are probably correct.
Flash web-based games play like native apps on the Tab (and will on the Galaxy S phones) and can be played full screen on the multi-touch device.
Samsung also showed off optimized versions of Android apps that have been redesigned to function correctly and look good on that big screen.
Samsung also demonstrated a video call utilizing the secondary, front-facing camera of the Tab.
Stay tuned for more from DroidDog, including pricing, the Tab docking station, keyboard, and other accessories.
VERIZON WIRELESS ANNOUNCES ITS FIRST MOBILE TABLET, THE SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB™
Delivers Premium Mobile Entertainment Experience through 7-Inch Touch Screen Display, Android 2.2 Platform, Front and Rear-Facing Cameras, Entertainment Applications and 1GHz Application Processor
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and DALLAS – Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced that the Samsung Galaxy Tab™ will launch in the coming weeks. Equipped with a brilliant 7-inch touch screen and a 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird Application processor, the Galaxy Tab will provide customers with a robust HTML Web browsing experience.
“The Samsung Galaxy Tab is an exciting addition to the Verizon Wireless Android portfolio,” said John Stratton, executive vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless. “Coupled with the nation’s largest 3G network, the Galaxy Tab is a powerhouse that will be as exciting to use as it is practical for both consumers and business customers.”
Verizon Wireless will introduce the Galaxy Tab with a number of exclusive applications such as V CAST Music with Rhapsody®, V CAST Video on Demand, V CAST Song ID, VZ Navigator®, along with games “Let’s Golf” and “N.O.V.A.”
“As we head into the holiday travel season,” Stratton added, “We expect customers will find the Galaxy Tab is the perfect traveling companion – download a book to the Kindle™ eReader, and you won’t miss your favorite paperback. Tune in to Slacker Radio, and create your own custom station or choose from over 100 expert, preprogrammed radio stations from every genre. You can even download a movie and take advantage of a screen large enough to enjoy all the action.”
The Galaxy Tab refines the mobile multimedia experience by offering full support for Adobe Flash 10.1 for video and mobile gaming and an integrated entertainment, multimedia and social networking experience. An image of the Galaxy Tab is available at:http://news.vzw.com/images/releases/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab.jpg. The Galaxy Tab will be available in the coming weeks in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com.
· Enhanced TFT display with WSVGA resolution – Offers brighter colors and clearer pictures and delivers 1024 x 600 resolution whether watching a movie or reading a book
· Rear-facing, 3MP camera and camcorder – AutoFocus captures DVD quality video
· Front-facing, 1.3-megapixel camera and camcorder – Enables video chat (Wi-Fi® only) with other people who have video conferencing capabilities (applications available in Android Market™).
· Corporate Email – Supports Android 2.2 Exchange ActiveSync e-mail to synchronize corporate e-mail, contacts and calendars from office e-mail accounts
· Wi-Fi® connectivity (802.11 b/g/n) and 3G Mobile Hotspot support
· Built-in 2 GB internal memory with 16 GB pre-installed microSD™ expandable to 32 GB
· 4,000 mAh Battery – Provides ample power to watch movies, share content and surf the Web for hours
· Ultra thin and weighing less than a pound – For users who don’t want to be weighed down by adding a mobile tablet to their pocket or purse
· Samsung Social Hub – Built around messaging, contacts and calendar sync, which allows users to send and receive daily activities, whether it is e-mail, social network updates or SMS messages
· Customizable touch screen menu with drag-and-drop widgets