Yesterday, we let you know that the HTC ThunderBolt’s update page on Verizon’s site had been updated, showcasing the Gingerbread update that was set to launch for the first 4G LTE-connected handset to launch for the Big Red network. We mentioned that it meant the update was right around the corner, and sure enough HTC and Verizon have managed to start the roll-out process a few days before the end of September. (Or, as HTC would like to point out, right on schedule.)
The update, as all OTA updates go, is being issued in a rolling wave fashion. So while you’re more than likely going to receive an update notification on your handset sooner, rather than later, you can try to pull the update down from the air on your own terms if you’re tired of waiting. Simply head into Settings –> Software Update –> Check New. You should be told that an update is ready to go. And after you update your phone, here’s what you’ll be looking at:
- Download Manager App: New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
- App and Power Management Details: Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each. Power efficiency mode option has also been added under Settings > Power.
- New Desktop User Interface: New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Dock Icons: Static Phone, App Launcher and Contacts icons are replaced within a customizable dock. Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the Dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
- Alarm notifications will no longer appear while in Emergency Mode.
- Improved data connectivity.
- Improved audio quality while using Bluetooth®.
- Decreased wait time when saving audio attachments.
- V CAST Tones now comes preloaded.
- New Google Books app.
- Enhanced UI for data roaming.
- SMS messages send to correct recipient.
- Reduced Force Close errors while using TuneWiki.
- Reduced Force Close errors when using the front camera.
- Audio on BT Car Kit no longer reroutes to phone when receiving a SMS message.
Additional device features: