Have you ever wanted to be part of a cinematic high speed chase around your very own city? If you said ‘yes’ then Route 66′s “Follow me” navigation app might be for you, minus the “high speed” part.
The app is called Route 66 Maps + Navigation with Follow Me and it is a revolutionary take on turn-by-turn navigation for drivers. The name rightly describes the app as it is the first to integrate augmented reality into navigation. This is done by superimposing the navigation, or in this case a virtual car that you “follow”, on top of the view of the street ahead of you from the phone’s camera. Once the route is set, a car of your own choosing appears on your phone’s screen over the view of the actual street you are driving on. As you begin to drive, the virtual car in front of you leads the way and you simply follow it to your destination. This does mean, however, that nothing can be blocking your camera’s view of the street, which might pose a problem for some. But I’m sure you can get creative.
This app is available on the Android Market right now as a FREE 30 day trial after which a “lifetime license” (I guess no pun intended) will cost you $65. It does seem pricey but considering most GPS navigational systems go for at least twice that amount this might not be a bad investment. Plus, you get to virtually rear end cars all day long. That might just be worth the cost of admission. But, please, keep your eyes on the road.
Here’s a video of Follow Me in action.
Here’s the official Route 66 press release:
ROUTE 66 Maps + Navigation Now Available in Android Market With Unique ‘Follow Me’ Augmented Reality Navigation
• A feature-packed mapping and navigation app for Android smartphones and tablets.
• Unique Follow Me™ augmented reality navigation revolutionises mobile navigation.
• Unlimited access to maps for over 100 countries, on-board and off-board.
• Free download via Android Market, now with 30-day free Worldwide Navigation licence.
Zurich – Switzerland, 24 November 2011 – ROUTE 66, a pioneer in mobile mapping and navigation solutions for smartphones and tablets, today announces the release of ROUTE 66 Maps + Navigation in Android Market, offering Android users worldwide a feature-packed new mapping and navigation app utilising the latest maps with 3D enhanced location content and Follow Me Augmented Reality Navigation.
“ROUTE 66 Maps + Navigation provides the future of navigation, today,” said Paul Warmer, ROUTE 66 Vice President Marketing. “Follow Me is a breakthrough navigation solution that goes far beyond anything else available today on smartphones and tablets. Add to this free access to on-board and off-board maps for over 100 countries and it becomes clear that ROUTE 66 is about to change the worldwide mobile mapping and navigation market forever.”
ROUTE 66 provides users with a highly innovative and competitive app that stands out in today’s crowded market place in various ways.
• Follow Me augmented reality navigation provides an innovative, smart, and fun way to reach your destination. With just one tap on the screen during navigation users can switch on Follow Me which shows the real road ahead and adds a realistic virtual car driving in front of you and guiding you to your destination. This is augmented reality navigation at its best, where GPS, live video from the camera, detailed maps, and crisp, clear spoken directions all come together to make finding your way more intuitive than ever.
• Detailed Maps with stunning 3D Graphics. ROUTE 66 Maps + Navigation provides free lifetime access to 104 different crystal-clear maps utilising lush 3D graphics and packed with links to useful information such as Wikipedia and weather. Users can explore maps in any direction with multi-touch gestures for zooming, moving, tilting, and rotating the view, features available even during turn-by-turn navigation.
• On-board and off-board maps. With ROUTE 66 Maps + Navigation users can access map data in various ways. The app automatically downloads map data segments from our high-speed servers to the phone or tablet as you go, providing access to the very latest and most accurate maps whenever it is needed. Users can also choose to store complete maps on their smartphone or tablet using Wi-Fi before they go on the road, avoiding data roaming charges while abroad and ensuring instant access with guaranteed performance, whatever the local network reception might be.
• And there is much more: Intuitive ROUTE 66 partial keyword search helps to find locations with less effort. Locations can be turned into destinations with a single tap and reached with accurate turn-by-turn navigation in 57 languages and dialects, clear on-screen guidance, and advanced lane information. Real time traffic information and the latest speed camera warnings are available as premium services.
Availability and Pricing ROUTE 66 Maps + Navigation is available as free download via Android Market to Android users running Android OS 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 – 2.3.7 (Eclair, Froyo, and Gingerbread) and offers free access to maps.
Until 31 December 2011 ROUTE 66 Maps + Navigation comes with a free 30-day Worldwide Trial licence that includes Navigation (including Follow Me) and free access to premium services like Traffic information and Speed cameras*.
The lifetime Worldwide Navigation licence is available via in-app purchase for EUR 49.99 / USD 64.99 and offers turn-by-turn navigation in over 80 countries*.
* Some services may not be available in all countries, check the in-app ‘Licences’ menu for the latest coverage and pricing in local currencies.
via Pocket GPS World