The Motorola DROID 3 is about to get a large software update — unfortunately it’s just an update of Gingerbread. The 5.7.905.XT862 update comes in around 230MB, and is full of fixes, enhancements, patches and more bug fixes. Given that the DROID 3 only has 512MB of RAM, an update to Ice Cream Sandwich is probably a pipe dream anyway, but every time we see those words “software update” we get a little excited. So what got fixed?
- A Google Security Patch has been added to improve the security level.
- Fixed issue where the device may power ON without user interaction.
- Avoid device interruption when accessing an application prior to the storage being fully mounted on the device.
- Improvements in device stability help avoid device power cycles.
- When connected to a Bluetooth® headset or HDMI cable, the device will no longer lock up and power cycle.
- Improvements to the camera’s auto focus will reduce the shutter response time and enhance the quality of captured imagery.
- Device is enabled with the Wireless Alerting System.
- Use a wired headset without the interruption of a high pitched tone.
- Plus code dialing has been enhanced, improving the experience while traveling.
Applications & Widgets
- Playback media can be heard while using a Bluetooth headset.
- Place a call to the appropriate recipient using the contact widget.
- When moving applications to the SD card, shortcuts to these Apps will remain.
- After updating the contact database from the Messaging App, the Messaging UI will display the latest contact information.
- Successfully post and play videos on Facebook.
- Purchased ringtones are now able to be downloaded, saved and used where appropriate.
- Contact pictures display properly in Google Voice.
- VZ Navigator® 3D City is now preloaded.
- Resolved excessive data usage and continuous downloading for VZ Navigator 3D City downloads.