Earlier this month, rumors were circulating around the web that Samsung was developing a mini-version of their flagship device the Galaxy SIII. Samsung had also sent out press invitations to an upcoming event with a slogan of “something small will be really big”, only further leading credence to the rumor. Earlier today in a report from Engadget, citing a translated Korean news story, Samsung’s Mobile Chief JK Shin has actually confirmed that the 4-inch S III is to be unveiled tomorrow in Frankfurt, Germany. This news was then later confirmed with Samsung PR.
Only helping to generate buzz for the new device, MobileGeeks have now posted images and specs of the new handset that reveal it is truly is a mini version of the existing SIII model. According to Samsung PR, the phone will indeed have “Mini” branding.
According to MobileGeeks, their source has confirmed that the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini will come with a 4.0-inch Super AMOLED display with WVGA resolution of 800 × 480 pixels, a 5-megapixel camera with a dedicated LED flash a VGA shooter on the front. Internally, the device sports 1 GB RAM and 16 GB of internal memory along side Wi-Fi N, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC and HSPA. Lastly it will be funning Android 4.1 Jelly Bean with Samsung’s TouchWiz UX overlay. Unfortunately at the moment, the CPU is currently unknown. The STE U8420 processor is still up for consideration but the S3 Mini will be running a dual-core processor running at 1GHz.
The full spec sheet can be found below:
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190
- Display: 4.0 inch Super AMOLED display with 800 × 480 pixels, 16.67 million colors, capacitive touchscreen, multi-touch
- CPU: STE U8420 dual-core 1.0 gigahertz
- wireless standards: HSPA 14.4/5.76 900/1900/2100, EDGE / GPRS 850/900/1800/1900
- Camera: 5 megapixel with auto focus and LED Flash, Resolution 2592 x 1944 pixels / VGA front
- RAM: 1 GB
- flash memory: 16 GB, MicroSD card slot (max 32 GB)
- Operating System: Google Android 4.1 “Jelly Bean”
- Connections: MicroUSB port, 3.5mm Audiojack
- Wireless: Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi a / b / g / n 2.4/5GHz, DLNA, NFC (UICC , optional)
- Battery: 1500 mAh
- Dimensions: 121.55 x 62.95 x 9.85 mm
- Housing Material: Plastic