Samsung has officially announced the Samsung Galaxy Xcover 2. The device will be shown off at the MWC in February, and is expected to launch sometime in March.
The Xcover 2 is an entry level handset meant to target people who enjoy the outdoor lifestyle and want a sturdy smartphone device that can handle being roughed up a bit.
The Xcover 2 is dust/sand proof, as well as water-resistant to a depth of 1 meter and for a period of 30 minutes. Samsung also emphasizes that with this phone, you can now be able to take pictures underwater and with ease thanks to the direct camera button on the phone.
This device also features the Cardio Trainer Pro workout app that creates a tailored training program that will help get its user in shape.
Here are the specs Samsung released for the Samsung Galaxy Xcover 2
- 4-inch WVGA display
- 1 GHz dual-core processor
- 4GB internal storage
- 5MP rear-facing camera
- VGA front-facing camera
- Bluetooth 4.0
- 1,700 mAh battery
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
This confirms that rumors of the Xcover 2 that were released earlier.
Here is Samsung’s press release for the device:
SEOUL, Korea – January 25, 2013 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd, today unveiled the Samsung Xcover 2, the ideal smartphone for active explorers who are enjoying outdoor lifestyles and seeking a durable mobile device with essential smartphone capabilities.
• The GALAXY Xcover 2 is optimized to endure against the most rugged outdoor conditions, whether you’re at work or play. Protected against the elements, it is dust and sand proof. It’s even water-resistant to a depth of one meter for up to 30 minutes (IP67 Certified). You can now take photos under water with the direct camera key, hold on tight to your device with the strap holder and not worry about dropping your phone as the battery cover lock gives added protection.
• Pre-downloaded Google map data, an enhanced GPS ＋ GLONASS which shortens the satellite signal detection by up to 20％ to tracks your location more accurately, LED Flash next to the camera which can be used like a torch and a huge battery capacity of 570 hours(1,700mAh), making the GALAXY Xcover 2 is the best possible smartphone partner for outdoor exploration.
• In addition, the Cardio Trainer Pro workout application will also help you achieve your fitness goals by creating a tailored training program, checking your progress and recording your track and speed.
• For everyday, users can expect the powerful performance characteristic of a Samsung smartphone with the robust GALAXY Xcover 2 shell. Its vivid 4.0” (100.8mm) WVGA display provides a clear and wide viewing experience, a 5-megapixel camera and VGA front camera that will let you record precious moments in high resolution, Bluetooth® v 4.0 gives a better connection that consumes less power and detects devices 50 meters away. An impressive 1GHz dual core processor powers the core of the GALAXY Xcover 2, which ensures a fast operating speed for seamless multitasking, faster webpage loading and softer UI transitions.
• Samsung GALAXY Xcover 2 runs Android™ 4.1 (Jelly Bean) enabling faster and smoother screen transitions and providing an enhanced user interface featuring a new, easier-to-use notification panel. As a premium Samsung Android™ phone, the device is packed with a series of innovative features and services to boost performance and the overall user experience. The intuitive Motion UI understands your movements to shake and update or turn over to mute; data can be synced, backed up and restored with S-Cloud; S Voice lets users control the phone using their voice, allowing you to see the weekly weather forecast, the contact number you’re trying to find or even take a picture as you speak; Best Shot recommends the best shot from a series of photos; Smart Stay recognizes whether the user is looking at the screen to dim the screen accordingly. Users can also enjoy all the benefits of Samsung Hubs, including the latest versions of Readers Hub, Video Hub, Game Hub and Music Hub.