Action Launcher Pro, a favorite app among many of our DroidDog writers, has received another update. This update, which brings the app to version 1.7, is huge! The biggest feature is probably the inclusion of icon pack support, along with the stock Jelly Bean icon pack. This means that the launcher suddenly becomes a lot more customizable.
There are also a ton of changes to bring the app in line with Android design standards. The up button in the top left corner has been changed to the new “hamburger” button, which is what apps like Google Play Music now use. There are also a bunch of big fixes, like icon text height fixes. If you want to read the full changelog, here it is:
* NEW: ICON PACK SUPPORT (Sorry for the caps – my inbox made me do it).
* NEW: Embed Stock Jelly Bean icon pack, so non-Nexus users can switch to a stock look without a third party download.
* NEW: Added ‘Auto memory cache’ option. When enabled, resources will be automatically reloaded in the event Android terminates Aciton Launcher for whatever reason. Found in Labs, and is off by default.
* NEW: Display the ‘hamburger button’ on the action bar instead of the Up button (thanks Arvid Gerstmann).
* NEW: Add setting for toggling wallpaper scrolling on/off.
* NEW: By default, display “Apps” and “Widgets” headings on the quickdrawer. This change was made because many people missed the presence of widgets.
* NEW: Add option to configure how the quickdrawer tabs are displayed.
* NEW: Ensure the text and icons for app shortcuts, folders and covers/shutters all display at a consistent height.
* CHANGE: The quickdrawer draws the full height of the screen, and displays over the top of the current screen layout.
* CHANGE: Restore the ability to select Holo dark as the background on the quickdrawer. Also added a new black option.
* CHANGE: Reduce the width of the quickdrawer on tablets to conform with the new Android navigation drawer standards.
* CHANGE: Clean up the organization of the display settings.
* CHANGE: Don’t use a transition animation when loading the system settings from Action Launcher’s settings.
* CHANGE: Further refinements to icon positioning in landscape mode.
* BUG FIX: Clamp the max dock width when importing. Fixes issue when importing an Apex layout that uses multiple docks.
* BUG FIX: Fix the initial position of an item dragged from the quickdrawer when the action bar is hidden.
* REMOVE: The option of displaying the quickdrawer background as the wallpaper has been removed. This option no longer is appropriate given the Android guidelines specify the portion of the screen not covered by the drawer should be tinted.
It’s a fantastic update to an already fantastic app. With covers and shutters, it’s unique and extremely functional. The update to 1.7 will be live in the Play Store fairly soon, as it’s just been submitted. Check for updates once in a while, and tell us how you like it!
EDIT: It’s live!