Against Calls For Change, Nokia’s CEO Refuses To Consider Android Platform

android-nokia920

As Microsoft’s Windows Phone 8 market share hovers in the single digits, calls for Nokia to re-consider Android smartphones are louder than ever. I’ll preface all this by saying that I still believe Nokia makes one of the best pieces of hardware in the entire wireless game. That being said, Nokia’s (stubborn) CEO Stephen Elop has made it clear that his company will not consider Android smartphones.

“We’ve made a clear decision to focus on Windows Phone with our Lumia product line,” Elop said. “And it is with that that we will compete with competitors like Samsung and Android.”

His stock price is down 60%, but Elop continues to believe that the company’s Plan A is to make their Microsoft deal work. As for Plans B-Z, they are all to make Plan A a success. The company held its general shareholder meeting and allowed for questions about Nokia’s production future and with plenty of finger-pointing at Samsung and their success with Android. The bottom line is that Apple has 57% of the smartphone industry profit, Samsung has the other 43% and the rest of the manufacturers including Nokia, LG, HTC don’t even appear on the radar.

Perhaps one shareholder said it best:

“The executive team is doing its best. But it’s not enough. Are you aware that results are what matter? The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Please switch to another road.”

Maybe it’s time to consider that road to be paved with Android.

AllThingsD

 

Tags: , , , ,